Monday, January 10, 2011

I Can't Stress This Enough

Washing your hair everyday is NOT a necessity. In fact, washing your hair everyday isn't healthy for your hair. It's very drying. By washing your hair daily you are stripping it of it's natural oils, and your scalp begins to overcompensate and produces extra oil to counteract the drying.

Your scalp can adjust to an every other day shampoo, but it will take time. The first couple weeks won't be your prettiest, but after you've overcome the transition, your life will have changed. Changed, I tell you.

The key to this new life you'll lead is DRY SHAMPOO. When I discovered this it was as if the clouds opened up and the hair gods said, "It's about freaking time, and you'll never be the same. Now go forth and spread the word". And I'm trying.

I'm not only a never-wash-daily kind of girl, I'm a never-wash-more-than-once-a-week kind of girl. I may have been known to go 11 days in the past. Just one time. But, I can't say I wouldn't do it again!

My shampooing schedule typically goes as such:

Day One: Clean hair, no need for dry shampoo. Occasionally I'll tap in some Powder.Puff to give it some texture. I hate the feeling of soft, clean hair.

Day Two: With my scalp being well adjusted to once a week shampoos, I am not in need of dry shampoo yet.

Day Three: Flat-iron-curl my hair to give it body and texture. Lightly spray dry shampoo throughout my roots that evening, always avoiding my part and hairline. Leave it for 2-5 minutes then brush through with a paddle brush, distrubuting the product through the ends.

Day Four: After curling my hair on day three, it only needs some fluffing. No need to touch it with any hot tools, just a bit of Powder.Puff. Lightly spray roots again with dry shampoo and brush through.

Day Five: Bend the roots a little with the flat iron to encourage curl and volume. Maybe pin back my bangs or pull it up for part of the day. Really attack my roots with dry shampoo in horizontal and then vertical sections near my hairline. Brush through.

Day Six: Ocassionaly spray more dry shampoo lightly around my head, and brush through. Flip my head over and spray Brocato Back to the Beach throughout. Amazing texturizing mist that holds the volume I've created with the dry shampoo, and encourages curl and texture.

Day Seven: Back to the Beach spray is really hard to brush out, so I don't bother touching it. Maybe pin back my bangs, the sides, or even all of it. The beach spray also allows incredible hold if I want to put my hair in a side braid or a messy bobby pinned bun.

Over the years I've tried a number of dry shampoos and my all-time favorite has definitely surprised me. Pssst! It's the first one I ever tried, and continues to remain at the top of my list. I purchase it at Wal-Mart, Walgreens or Rite Aid, and at $6.99 it can't be beat!
Super lightweight amazingness with a light, fresh scent. Also adds a little volume by creating bulk at your roots.
If you're looking for a fresher smelling dry shampoo, I've enjoyed Big Easy by Brocato, which we sell at the salon.

We also sell this one at the salon, and it smells amazing! It absolutely masks that dirty hair smell.
The downfall is that it's about triple what my beloved Pssst costs.

Need a little more encouragement? You just let me know and I'll do my darndest to convince you!

4 comments:

Señora H-B said...

Ok, I'm totally impressed. I just got to the point that I can go without washing every other day--though I still have to wash my bangs. I'm a grease ball.

How do you keep your hair from looking dull and nasty from dry shampoo? I tried TreSemme dry shampoo and it was a disaster! I have dark brown hair and it made it gray no matter how much I brushed with a paddle brush. Is the key keeping out of the part and hairline?

I need to know!! I'm seriously LAZY and would love to skip hair washing more regularly.

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

i can believe in it, but what about post-workout sweaty gnarliness? do i just let it ride? blowdry the sweat in for some extra fluff? seriously, i have often gone 3-4 days between washes, but the sweatiness always gets me...

Kalli said...

3 days is max for me and beyond day 1 I am sporting a ponytail or something equally as unattractive.

My hair is thick, kind of coarse with a light wave and style wise I end up blow drying and flatironing which takes forever. I've tried curling with flatiron which works ok when it's shorter but is out of the question when it's longer like it is.


What about after showering and do you wear a shower cap and how does that go after a workout? How well does dry shampoo work on long, thick, brunette hair?

Señora H-B said...

I just had to report back and tell you that I'm up to 5-6 days already. I still have to wash my bangs when I shower--they get so wonky and uncooperative, but it's cool.

I discovered TreSemme Waterless foam shampoo. It works really well for the days that I don't wash my bangs--it gets them damp enough to be re-styled (what!? I sleep on my face).

I'm already in love with my hair on days 2-5. Day 1 is awful-it's so soft and floppy! Day 6 is a little ooky, but I wear it up in a bun.

Thanks for your proselytizing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...