Friday, January 7, 2011

Curl Tips

I've had a firm testimony of flat iron curls up until last week when I performed Operation New Years Eve Curl on two clients. I used a one inch curling iron wand (no spring makes it a wand), and took large sections, and wrapped around the wand. The high heat setting of the wand created fairly tight ringlets (pictures would be helpful right about now, but I'm a fool and didn't take any) in just a few seconds, which I assured both clients would not be the final result.

After curling the whole head, which took about 20 minutes, I grabbed my magic Kevin.Murphy comb, and brushed the crap out of it. Gasp! You brushed curls? You bet I did, and the result was incredible. One client reported back that her husband called it [warning, PG13] "sex hair". Who doesn't want that while ringing in the new year?

I WILL do this again, and take pictures to prove it's beautiness. Yes, that's a word. As of today.

The finishing touches were made by dusting my favorite Kevin Murphy product, Powder.Puff, all over the flipped-over-head. Powder.Puff is essentially a volumizing powder. Genius right? We're always working to create volume, but using product that add at least a little weight. But this powder creates incredible oomph and texture without the weight!

What's Kevin.Murphy, you might ask. Well, it's a new line we carry, which I believe isn't sold in any other salons in Provo. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of their shampoos and conditioners, but I am a big fan of a few of their styling products, namely the Powder.Puff.

Ahh, and then there is their comb. Ah, the comb of all combs. It is true that we hair stylists get excited over combs, clips and even bowls, but this excitement of mine is legit. The carbon fiber make of the comb allows for hold and texture without frizz. You can actually tame curl (hence my combing of the New Years Eve curl) by combing through it!

Magic comb, and one inch curling iron, although not the one used on above-mentioned clients.

However, this curling iron, called a Marcel, is one of my favorites. It allows you to rotate the iron after clamping the hair (or holding the hair around the wand), so as to help you wrap the strand.



Another little secret about this miracle product...it helped in lengthening my time between washes, along with my trusty dry shampoo. BONUS!

Although I loved the result of these curls on my clients, I find using a flat iron on myself to curl is much easier. However, I'll give this a try, and report back!

What a poor excuse for a hairstylist I am...can't even curl her own hair with a curling iron!

That was a whole heck of a lot of words, I promise the next post will include more pictures. If you're anything like me, you read a blog and get bored after a paragraph if it's not broken up with pictures.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay, so loved this post because of the conversation we had back when i was under the touch of your magic skills. So I SUCK at curling my hair with the straightner. And I just recently purchased hot rollers, because I was desperate for curls without the 45 minute curling session. So I am intrigued with this tool, and you know I want the powder mostly for its cleansing powers, since we all know washing my hair is a challenge. This is long, and I need to make another appointment with you! XOXO

Kar said...

I owe you a big thank you. Because of you and your "Psssst!" shampoo. I have gone from a daily hairwasher to an every other day washer, and now I've worked up to every three days! It's all thanks to you. Seriously, how did I ever wash my hair daily? You have changed my life, Caitlyn. Changed. My. Life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...